Dr. Ashok Rajgopal
Dr. Ashok Rajgopal is a PadmaShri recipient, Dr. Rajgopal is a proud member of several bodies of knee surgeons who have exhibited supreme levels of commitment towards the advancement of knee surgeries.
Dr. Rajgopal holds the unique distinction of performing 28 Total Knee Replacement surgeries in under 12 hours. In February 2016, He touched another milestone of completing 25,000 Total Knee Replacement surgeries in thirty years of practice.
He possesses impeccable expertise in the most advanced cement less implants such as Trabecular Metal implants. The innovative surgical procedure tends to carry a high strength to weight ratio with superb mechanical characteristics of surviving physiological stress. Its compressive strength and elastic modules are very much similar to real bone in comparison to other prosthetic load bearing materials.
Dr. Rajgopal has the honour of becoming the first orthopaedic surgeon in India who has carried virtual total knee replacement employing patient-specific instruments. In this procedure, precise alignment holds the key to durability and proper functionality of the knee joint. This next-generation advanced surgery counts on superior advancements in instrument technology along with stated orthopaedic alignment principles to ensure the most perfect setting.
He is also a coveted member of a renowned panel of international knee surgeons engaged into the development of advanced knee implants, the newest being “PERSONA” knee system. The PERSONA KNEE SYSTEM was launched in September 2013 in India and has effectively transfigured the concept of knee replacement surgery by developing an almost personalized knee replacement system.
- Top Knee Replacement Surgeon Medanta Medicity Delhi India
- M.B.B.S.: Armed Forces Medical College, Pune University, 1974.
- M. S. Orth: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in the year 1979.
- M. Ch. Orth: University of Liverpool in the year 1983.
- FIMSA : International Medical Sciences Academy 1996.
- FRCS: Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh in the year 2010.
- “Knee Surgery” a book edited by Dr. Ashok Rajgopal was released at the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons) meeting in New Orleans, USA on 12th March 2014
Awards And Honours
- Padma Shri awardee
- Dr B C Roy awardee
- Dr. Rajgopal has been awarded the Honorary FRCS by the Royal College of Surgeons 11 Mar,2011
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal was awarded the Padmashri by H. E. The President of India on the eve of our 65th Republic Day on 25th Jan, 2014
- Indian Orthopaedic Association Life Member
- Indian Arthroplasty Association Life Member
- International Medical Science Academy Awarded Fellowship
- Indian Arthroscopy Society President
- I S A K O S Active Member
- Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society Founder Secretary, Past President
- General Medical Council (UK) Permanent Registration
- Indian Hip and Knee Society Founder member Vice-president and President Elect